Web has expanded a lot, and more than that. The search engines now talk in exabytes which is equal to 1 billion gigabytes. Google has more than 4000 million webpages indexed with its powerful search engine. It is very difficult to be on the top of the list in this type of tough fight which gives birth to the new career in IT - Search Engine Optimization.
What is Search Engine Optimization...??
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the visibility of a website or a web page in search engines.( source: Wikipedia).
Search Engines has their own strategies to rank the pages or websites. When you search anything through search engine, it gives thousands or even millions of result. No one is going to see all those but the sum of on the top are viewed by users. So if you want your website to be viewed by more and more users all you need is upper rank in those searches. But it is not so easy, for that you need to know how search engines work, how they rank and place the pages in their search results. Even the domain age is checked for stability of domain. Popularity of the product for which the website is created, reputation of the websites is also the factors affecting the rank because Search engines also have the competition to be on the top.
Now all these things are not possible for end users or even the companies single handily. That gives you the 1 more new career opportunity as an Search Engine Optimizer (SEO). SEO uses the some techniques like adding the mostly searched keywords in your website, removing redundant data from your website which highlights your website in Result Engine of the Search Engine.
If you are a company user and can afford an SEO thats good but if you cant then there are some simple tricks which can improve your rank in search results.
- Keep the amount of data on single page High. More the data on webpage more the chances of improvement in rank of that page.
- Use keyword in your pages. Keywords are very useful in webpages as all the searches are done by using keywords only.
- Keep the keyword density moderate. If you use the keyword ( like SEO in this post) for many times the page may be declared as spam and get penalized by Search Engine.
- Text Formatting. While writing webpages useful tags like Meta tags, Title tag, Alt tags for images must be added.
- Your Home page should be the face of your site. Users mostly judge the websites by their home page. Add better functionality to your site through links from home page.
While we are talking about increasing the rank by natural and algorithmic means some search engines provide premium services known as Search Engine Marketing in which paid rankings are provided to the webpages or websites by search engines itself. But though SEO plays vital role in increasing the rankings and most probably preferred by website admins.